Legal education in Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland at the Learning in Law Annual Conference 2010.
Gillian McGaughey (Institute of Professional Legal Studies, Queen’s University Belfast) presented a paper on Perspectives on professional formation: apprenticeship, pupillage and the assessed year in employment at Learning in Law Annual Conference 2010 in January.
As part of our nations strategy UKCLE supports activities of a country specific nature:
- Events programme – we aim to organise regular events in Northern Ireland
- Nations Fund – support for initiatives in learning and teaching, including research and the development of resources from Northern Ireland
Register with UKCLE to receive our monthly e-newsletter, keep up to date with developments in legal education or get involved in UKCLE activities.
Resources on legal education in Northern Ireland:
- Perspectives on professional formation: apprenticeship, pupillage and the assessed year in employment paper comparing the differing approaches to vocational training for lawyers and social workers (2010)
- Interdisciplinary training – case study on a shared learning experience in the courtroom between trainee social workers, GPs and barristers at Queen’s University Belfast (2009)
- Exploring the link between advocacy and actor training – paper on the potential of actor training techniques to help teach advocacy skills, with examples from Queen’s University Belfast (2006)
- Evaluation as a method of assessment – case study of peer assessment by interview at Queen’s University Belfast (2002)
See how to use the site for a quick overview of how to explore the rest of the site. You can browse the list of keywords at the bottom of the resources page or use the site map to ‘drill down’ through the structure of folders and documents. And don’t forget the search box!
Law schools in Northern Ireland
- Queen’s University Belfast – School of Law | Institute of Professional Legal Studies
- University of Ulster – School of Law | Graduate School of Professional Legal Education
Academy Northern Ireland
Academy Northern Ireland, the Higher Education Academy’s arm in Northern Ireland, maintains a mailing list for alerts on events, funding opportunities and Academy work going on in Northern Ireland.
- Department for Employment and Learning higher education webpages, including details of the seven Northern Ireland Centres for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- Quality Assurance Agency in Northern Ireland
- General Council of the Bar of Northern Ireland
- Law Society of Northern Ireland
Last Modified: 16 June 2010